For many businesses just starting out, getting the right software solution to help them grow is vital as there are so many to choose from. Business owners will be mindful of costs, but also want their businesses to begin trading as soon as possible. They may look for a quick fix by purchasing an ‘off the shelf’ software solution to get their business up and running.
But, although software systems such as these are very good initially, as the business grows you may find the software is no longer as flexible, and a bespoke solution is needed. Some businesses dread the idea of creating bespoke software even though they realise they need it. They don’t want the disruption, they think it will be costly and it will take a long time to build, install and to train staff.
A bespoke software solution is actually the opposite of all these.
A bespoke solution begins with our developers immersing themselves in your business, looking at the way it operates now, but also what are its ambitions for the future so it can be built to flex and update seamlessly as it grows.
Software should also be intuitive to your business and consider how it will be used by employees, to ensure it is easy to understand and use. So much so, that a user guide shouldn’t be required. Bespoke solutions can be integrated across various departments and job roles so it will link into existing systems, e.g. account packages or a CRM – so no disruption to your day to day operations.
Plus, getting a bespoke system installed into your business now will save your money in the long run. Getting an off the shelf solution now may look like a cost-effective option just as you are starting out. But it won’t flex to your business needs as a bespoke solution will do and to change it down the line will cost you!
And finally, if you are in a competitive industry, a bespoke system will ensure you are ahead of the game as your competitors use inflexible off the shelf alternatives. Surely that is worth investing in!
So, in summary, here are the benefits of bespoke:
- It is built around your business and no one else’s
- It can streamline your operation
- It won’t contain loads of processing that you don’t use. Off the Shelf software has to work for all its clients, and not everyone works the same way
- Will give your business a competitive edge
- If you need to flex, make changes, etc your IT software company will be able to update your system allowing you to adapt
- Bespoke software will bring all your departments together and help ensure they’re all pulling in the same direction
- Building a Bespoke solution around your business will give you a fresh set of eyes that often results in you being able to offer services in a way you never knew were possible
Greystone: Making sense of IT and software solutions